[pianotech] OT: WARNING about bogus system scans and automaticdownload of an "install.exe" file

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Mon Feb 22 22:47:03 MST 2010

That's not exactly accurate, Duaine.

Linux is a "Unix-like" operating system based on the open-source Linux Kernel originally conceived by Linus Torvalds in 1991. It behaves similarly to Unix but is not based on Unix.

The Mac OS, Version X (10) and above are based on Unix which was created by Bell Laboratories in 1969.  The Mac OS does not have any roots in Linux.  Mac OS X was a derivative of NeXTStep, a company founded by Steve Jobs, the original founder of Apple, along with the Unix Kernel from Bell Labs.

Open-source has come up with great software, Linux, Mozilla, OpenOffice, to name a few, but the Mac OS has never been a spin-off from Linux.

Also, there are lots of games on the Mac, and the cost for the Macs are not that far out of line compared to a comparably equipped, store-bought PC.  That hype died many years ago.

In case you can't tell, I'm a Mac person...  :-)

Regards,

Rob McCall
McCall Piano Service, LLC
Murrieta, CA