[pianotech] OT: WARNING about bogus system scans and automatic download of an "install.exe" file

Patrick C. Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 22 18:07:15 MST 2010

Duaine: DO NOT ALLOW THIS PROGRAM TO OPEN! It is a Trojan horse virus,
apparently the same one that killed my last computer. It installs itself, is
undetectable by any anti-virus program I have heard of, and will not go away
unless you "subscribe" to its "anti-virus" service. In other words, it
hijacks your machine and extorts money out of you to let the machine
function properly. I took my computer to a tech, who was unable to remove
it, short of installing an entirely new hard drive and all system programs.
The father-in-law of a customer of mine, a computer service tech, said that
he has gotten many, many computers in with the same problem.  A very clever,
diabolical piece of software design.
Good luck,
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician