[pianotech] OT: WARNING about bogus system scans and automatic download of an "install.exe" file

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Mon Feb 22 17:13:40 MST 2010

As I was - rebuilding - my brother-in-laws computer, his anti-virus
software kept warning us about these to IP addresses (188.124.5.155 /
217.23.10.61)

Since I am on Linux, I thought I would investigate these.

Immediately after typing those in, I got a message stating:

"Warning! Your computer contains various signs of viruses and malware
programs presence.
Your system requires immediate anti viruses check!
System Security will perform a quick and free scanning of your PC
for viruses and malicious programs"

After hitting OK, another webpage that looked identical to the Windows
"My Computer" screen - with - an inlay that shows a virus scan is
running. After it shows that you are infected, another message stating:

"Warning! Your computer contains various signs of viruses and malware
programs presence.
Your system requires immediate anti viruses check!
System Security will perform a quick and free scanning of your PC
for viruses and malicious programs"

After hitting OK, another pop-up shows up from the Microsoft Security
Alert and, since most people will click "Remove All", it will -
automatically - install a file called "install.exe" on your system.

Again, since I'm on Linux, I don't know what it does after that - but -
you probably know - a trojan, virus, etc will show.

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years