[pianotech] Kimball Console Hammer Return Spring Size

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 22 15:49:39 MST 2010

I think you've gotten good advice so far to regulate the spring
tension. Remember to make the adjustment at the coil and to not bend
the straight-ish portion of the spring wire.

Are you sure the springs are the correct size? The suppliers sell two
upright sizes (2" & 1-7/8") and shorter ones for "spinets". Now why
the specify spinets, I'm not sure because many spinets have full-sized
actions. I would presume the console with it's compact action would
use the shorter "spinet" springs.

If the springs are WAY, WAY too strong, you might want to call a
supplier and ask for the diameter of the spring wire on the spring
they sell for the console. Then measure your springs. Maybe there's
the odd chance that someone put some large-wire-diameter springs in
there that will never regulate properly.

Terry Farrell