[pianotech] Ron Falcone piano tuning course

JOHN ROSS jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Mon Feb 22 11:46:22 MST 2010

Any correspondence course, is only as good as what you put into it.
After joining PTG, I learned that the course I had completed, was the worst
course available.
They are still in business, and I did the course in 1975.
It did however give me a course outline to work with.
I have been to approaching 20 conventions, where I filled in the blanks, in
my knowledge.
But had I not started with the correspondence course, even the inferior one
I took, I would not be making a living from it today.
You can have the best course in the world, but if you don¹t apply yourself,
or just read the answers from the course material, you will fail as a piano
tuner.
You must satisfy, the customer, or your business will fail.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia

On 22/02/10 10:10 AM, "Brian Trout" <brian_trout at hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> oceanfront property in AZ, too, and even put a referrence to it in ad copy
> somewhere.  Doesn't put an ocean there.)
>
> Here's just hoping that people looking to learn about piano tuning will do
> enough searching on the internet to find some reputable people to talk to.
> Lots of tuner/techs have real websites now and if I were looking, I'd probably
> try to find some of these and talk to some real techs for their take on
> "schools" like this.  And hopefully, some real techs would point would-be
> people in more reasonable directions of education.
>
> If I had to start over again, I'd probably join the PTG and look for a place
> to start working on pianos.  A mentor would be great.  If not possible, a
> large piano store with a substantial shop would be a place to do some serious
> learning.  Even just finding access to a decade or so of the PTG journals
> would hold a wealth of info for someone willing to do some reading.
>
> These "home study courses", at least of this nature, are totally worthless.  I
> took one in the early 1980's.  Totally worthless.  Well, except for the tuning
> hammer they sent with it.  I still have that, and even use it on occasion for
> a tuning pin in a tight location.  I may even have a rubber mute or two, but
> that's about all I have to show for it.  The actual tuning part of it tried to
> teach a temperament that was so bad I don't think I ever got it to work well.
> I even tried it after learning to tune a good one years later, still couldn't
> make it work.  (The temperament that finally "clicked" with me was an
> adaptation and expansion of the one in a book I managed to find, "A Guide to
> Restringing".  For me, it never was an issue hearing the beats, it was just
> knowing how to organize them.)
>
> I don't know if there are some legitimate home study applications these days.
> (Is Randy Potter still doing one?)  But this ain't one!!
>
> FWIW...  just an opinion...
>
> Brian
>

>> > Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:51:53 -0600
>> > From: dahechler at att.net
>> > To: pianotech at ptg.org
>> > Subject: Re: [pianotech] Ron Falcone piano tuning course
>> >
>> > WHERE, in California and New York - most definitely NOT in the midwest -
>> > like St. Louis, MO
>> >
>> > "According to the U.S. Department of Labor Statistics, piano tuners can
>> > earn very good incomes. In fact, in a recently published almanac on
>> > career opportunities, piano tuners were listed in the/ *top twenty* /*
>> > professions* out of a total of/ two hundred/. Probably the best kept
>> > secret in the world is that now you can join the small and exclusive
>> > list of tuners who earn an average of *$75.00 to $95.00 *per-hour tuning
>> > pianos! "
>> >
>> > The person that wrote this MUST be on DRUGS ..............
>> >
>> > I just LOVE these general statements. (Like the government is trying to
>> > tell us that the housing market is rebounding - again, NOT in St. Louis, >>
MO)