[pianotech] Ron Falcone piano tuning course

Kerry kerrykean at att.net
Mon Feb 22 11:22:46 MST 2010

I could accept potential value for a mail-order course, especially for
someone in a remote setting, if they were honest about the prospects and the
fact that the course by itself would be just an introduction. This one is
not.

I emailed them asking details about this Ron Falcone (anybody know him?),
his background, training, etc., and was simply referred back to the site's
FAQ. Googling him turned up someone who matches his background (author for
the listed publishers, lived in Connecticut, moved to Orlando FL in the
90's), except this guy is a alternative medical journalist who has been the
editor of a bacterial cancer website for the last 10 years (I emailed to ask
if they were the same guy, no response yet). Hmm, either a true Renaissance
man or he moves from field to field when things get too hot.

Here are the bios to compare if anyone else is interested.

http://www.pianotuning-course.com/ronfalcone.html

http://www.cancerbacteria.com/falcone.html

Kerry Kean

www.ohiopianotuner.com <http://www.ohiopianotuner.com/>

<snip>
These "home study courses", at least of this nature, are totally worthless.
I took one in the early 1980's.  Totally worthless.  Well, except for the
tuning hammer they sent with it.  I still have that, and even use it on
occasion for a tuning pin in a tight location.  I may even have a rubber
mute or two, but that's about all I have to show for it.  The actual tuning
part of it tried to teach a temperament that was so bad I don't think I ever
got it to work well.  I even tried it after learning to tune a good one
years later, still couldn't make it work.  (The temperament that finally
"clicked" with me was an adaptation and expansion of the one in a book I
managed to find, "A Guide to Restringing".  For me, it never was an issue
hearing the beats, it was just knowing how to organize them.)

I don't know if there are some legitimate home study applications these
days.  (Is Randy Potter still doing one?)  But this ain't one!!

FWIW...  just an opinion...

Brian