[pianotech] prepping Beijing Shinghai pianos (post purchase)

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 07:12:19 MST 2010

Hi I know some of you work closely with dealers of Chinese pianos, such as
the Hardman (made by Beijing Hsinghai) grand I'll be looking at soon. I've
seen a few of them already, and much like various other Chinese manufactured
pianos, tend to have more friction problems than either the technician or
piano owner like to see. It's not hard to take care of the few keys that are
immediately obvious to the customer (e.g. they call for service only because
of stuck keys and dampers; repinning damper lever flanges, or other flanges,
usually fixes that note), but I'm wondering what those of you who work on
these all of the time do.
Repin every dang flange in the action (including damper levers)? Size all
those high friction bushings with alcohol-water solutions? Just dealing with
the tip of the iceberg, knowing (or at least suspecting) that other flanges
will seize up months from now doesn't feel very satisfying.

Patrick Draine