[pianotech] Monetary evaluation

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sat Feb 20 11:15:48 MST 2010

Denise

This is a case of what you're looking for. Are you looking for the value of the piano as is, for a potential buyer who wants to restore the piano, or at least get it playing? Or are you looking for the price of what the piano will sell for, for the person who wants to sell the piano. Or are you looking to give a bid to want to buy the piano for spec?

For the buyer, you should consider the cost of total restoration. If that person wants to buy the piano, and keep it indefinitely, the piano should be worth in the neighborhood of $10,000. If you're trying to get a price of what the piano will sell for, you might say to the customer it's worth $15,000, but in our current economic situation, he should take he best offer. The market will usually set the price. If you're considering buying the piano yourself, it all depends on how much you want it, and how much money you have. Make an offer, and see if the customer will sell. You might be able to pick it up for as little as $5000, if the customer is desperate enough for the money.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.
Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789