[pianotech] Monetary evaluation

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Feb 20 09:07:20 MST 2010

I concur that it's difficult right now to establish values because the
economy is skewing things to the low side.  Regional differences are also at
play though in your area it's probably similar to San Francisco.  My recent
experience suggests that an M of that vintage in primo condition would do
well to sell for $25,000 - $28,000 right now.  This one falls far short of
that though you haven't really said what it sounds like and whether the
belly work is serviceable.  When you factor in changing the action,
restringing (even if you keep the original board which is questionable),
damper upgrade, C+ case, I'd put the value certainly under $10,000.  My
approach is always to assume you are advising the buyer, not the seller.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com