[pianotech] help

Ursula Hammerling ursulapianotuning at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 20 09:44:18 MST 2010

Ursula Hammerling

Registered Piano Technician

48 Winged Foot Lane

Washington, NJ  07882

tel  908-835-0033

cell 908-507-1505

UrsulaPianoTuning at yahoo.com

--- On Fri, 2/19/10, ChicagoTuner at aol.com <ChicagoTuner at aol.com> wrote:

From: ChicagoTuner at aol.com <ChicagoTuner at aol.com>
Subject: Re: [pianotech] help
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Date: Friday, February 19, 2010, 6:48 PM

Greetings,

In a message dated 2/19/2010 5:07:54 P.M. Central Standard Time,
ursulapianotuning at yahoo.com writes:

      Hello,

I very much like an answer to a problem,
        that I encountered today.
I wanted to open a Premier Baby Grand 4'9"
        and I stumbled upon a problem removing
the action. I removed the fall
        board with cheek blocks attached, and the key slip. There were no other
        screws holding the action in place. I also removed part of the trap work
        since I thought, that the broken 'soft' pedal might have something sticking upward
        to make removing of the action impossible.Part of the trap work my not be enough, check the lyre
        screws (if any) going into the keybed, if they stick up far enough, they
        will hold on to the action.  I was able to
        lift the front of the action up so I could look underneath, whether a
        screw might have been drilled through the key bead and so impeding the
        removal of the action. There was nothing visible. So, perhaps you covered my previous point, but, it might
        be hard to see, it doesn't take much to hold the action.
        The bass side of the action gave way to about 1/8 of an
        inch, the treble side moved nothing. (The sustain pedal shifts from
        right to left). The action felt like being screwed to the back of the
        piano.Check the screws or bolts that hold
        the legs in front, sometimes there are different sizes and the movers
        put the long ones into the action cavity and the short ones in the back
        leg.       Michael,
        Chicago
Thank you Michael, I will check on that. I also saw 2 bolts in the piano bench, maybe the answer lies there.
Does anybody have an idea what I might
        have missed?

Thanks for looking at this.

Ursula