[pianotech] help

ChicagoTuner at aol.com ChicagoTuner at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 16:48:18 MST 2010

Greetings,

In a message dated 2/19/2010 5:07:54 P.M. Central Standard Time,
ursulapianotuning at yahoo.com writes:

Hello,

I very much like an answer to a problem,  that I encountered today.
I wanted to open a Premier Baby Grand 4'9"  and I stumbled upon a problem
removing
the action. I removed the fall  board with cheek blocks attached, and the
key slip. There were no other  screws holding the action in place. I also
removed part of the trap work  since I thought, that the broken 'soft' pedal
might have something sticking upward  to make removing of the action
impossible.Part of the trap work my not be enough, check the lyre  screws (if any)
going into the keybed, if they stick up far enough, they  will hold on to the
action.  I was able to  lift the front of the action up so I could look
underneath, whether a  screw might have been drilled through the key bead and so
impeding the  removal of the action. There was nothing visible. So, perhaps
you covered my previous point, but, it might  be hard to see, it doesn't
take much to hold the action.  The bass side of the action gave way to about
1/8 of an  inch, the treble side moved nothing. (The sustain pedal shifts
from  right to left). The action felt like being screwed to the back of the
piano.Check the screws or bolts that hold  the legs in front, sometimes there
are different sizes and the movers  put the long ones into the action cavity
and the short ones in the back  leg.       Michael,  Chicago

Does anybody have an idea what I might  have missed?

Thanks for looking at this.

Ursula  Hammerling,  RPT