[pianotech] Monetary evaluation

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sat Feb 20 08:28:12 MST 2010

> Hello List,
>
> I am having trouble estimating the monetary value of pianos lately.  For
> many years I had logical formulas for arriving at a reasonable figure, but
> those methods no longer serve.  The influx of PSO and our regrettable
> economic situation have skewed the field.  I know of far more pianos for
> sale than people looking for them right now, too.
>
> The piano in question is 1929 S&S model M.  Board and bridges adequate.
> Restrung in 70's with poor wire.  Original block with size 3 pins.
> Original action  --   sluggish to the point of being unplayable.  Case
> refinished in ebony, but done carelessly.
>
> I'd welcome your opinions of this instrument, but even more valuable would
> be to know your thought process.
>
> Also, I'd like to know exactly what years they impregnated the center pin
> bushings.  Just curious, they're easy enough to spot.
>
> Thanks . . .
>
> Denise

Denise ,
 I'm in the middle of the same request from a client with a slightly older
but "unbutchered M " .I have yet to see it, but the owner describes the
action as sluggish and tone poor so I think we are both talking about these
pianos as rebuilding stock.
Someone on list  had recently mentioned $1000 a foot for a rebuildable
Steinway but the few  rebuilders I have spoken with in my area are reluctant
to take on any more spec. pianos.(especially an M)
The journal has adverts  from buyers seeking Steinways so that may be one
solution to set price.

Tom Driscoll