[pianotech] Fwd: Hybrid pinblocks

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Feb 18 12:02:11 MST 2010

Gene Nelson wrote:
> The simple test we did I cannot really draw any definite conclusions
> from however, if you pound a pin down a bit in the old clunker, the
> bottom of the pin engages fresh fibers and gives more torque?

Unfortunately, that doesn't make a lot of sense either. Lots
of years back, someone on list pointed out that tapping a pin
less than a millimeter deeper into the block often makes way
more torque difference than is reasonable for the "fresh wood"
presumption. I think it was a good observation.

> Also, one thing I missed was that our eval was turning the pin just to
> break the initial friction similar to tuning. As Ron pointed out there
> is the additional friction as the pin continues to rotate where the
> differences in materials plays a roll.

Or a muffin. (sorry) Another thing: I've noticed that pin
torques two or three days after stringing feel higher than
when you're installing them. This may be a body calibration
illusion relative to the different levels of violence imparted
whether stringing or tuning, and I've never taken actual
measurements, but it's worth a look. How do those test piece
torques match up today?
Ron N