[pianotech] Fwd: Hybrid pinblocks

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Feb 17 21:00:35 MST 2010

erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:
> I despise tight pins and wanted to gain control over the process.

I don't mind tight pins if they're controllable. With the
Delignit/multilam I use, they are.

>I have used both
> the delignit block material and the bridge cap material.

The first one I made was with the bridge capping. I like
Delignit better. The bridge capping is too soft and, as you
said, the wrong size.

>   The added bonus of a block that solve pin hole enlargement over time
> was a great feature.

That was part of the original idea. The friction gradient was
the other.

>   I have not altered the drilling technique. It is however important as
> Terry said to test each block with test pins. Maple varies in hardness
> and some no. 2 pins will be too tight drilled at .257 and others better
> at .261.

You aren't double drilling, are you? I'm using a 6.8mm
(0.2677") for my second pass and getting tighter pins than you
would probably accept, but very uniform.

>   The outcome is far better than I hoped. Love tuning these blocks--
>   Dale

Likewise, and likewise.
Ron N