[pianotech] Piano vs. Acoustic Piano - was advice yada yada

Andrew Anderson anrebe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 20:26:48 MST 2010

My business encompasses piano sales, piano service and piano lessons.

Our experience is that elementary students make the best progress on
real pianos (even when untuned and poorly regulated).  Students that
start on "digital pianos" proceed at a more leisurely rate and usually
stall about the third or fourth year heading into early intermediate.

The fine motor skills needed to control a piano musically simply do
not develop on a digital piano.  There are expensive ones that address
this issue but they cost more then an affordable (not the cheapest, I
don't carry what I don't want to warranty) upright piano.  People that
buy digital usually do it on price.

I have discussed this with parents of students who were getting
"stuck" and they purchased a real piano and the student took off and
has become quite an artist.  Not halfway through high-school and
taking college piano credits is a real option for them now.

Our policy states that we will accept beginner students who have a
digital piano for two years only and then they must upgrade or find
another studio.  We refuse to take students that have Wal Mart
"keyboards" etc.  There must be weighted keys, dynamic control via the
keys and a sustain pedal ie a digital piano.  The result is students
that make rapid progress and show it off twice a year at recitals and
get independently adjudicated by the Piano Guild annually.  When it
comes to piano, there are no shortcuts.

Andrew Anderson