[pianotech] Advice about intermittent note on Yamaha grand

David Weiss davidweiss at embarqmail.com
Tue Feb 16 18:06:04 MST 2010

It's not an argument, it's a conversation!

Call it semantics, but I believe the word piano should be reserved for a
piano.  I think this is important because a real piano is a requirement for
the study of classical music, jazz or any other type of serious music.

I spend a lot of time explaining to people why the electric keyboard they
bought at Best Buy or Sam's Club is not appropriate for learning to play the
piano. Some piano teachers won't tell them this, and many salespeople at the
music store won't.  I don't want to see the concept of what a piano is
diluted, or have it merge into the amorphous mass of keyboard instruments.

It's not just that I earn my living by the existence of the piano, it's that
the aesthetic of it move me.  I want to keep it alive, that others may
experience it.  So I fight the fight, and hope my colleagues are on my side.

David Weiss