[pianotech] issues with key not repeating

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 15 16:52:45 MST 2010

Hi Marshall,

If the jack's pinning is right, there are only a few things that cause the key to "skip" on occasion. I'll list the few that comes to mind:

1- Repetition spring not strong enough. Usually when this is the case, when you play a good normal blow and <release the key very slowly> then the next quick blow you'll give it it won't play. This symptom also coul apply if the jack sits too high in the repetition lever's window (to find out if this is the case, when the hammer is at rest, trip the jack with your finger (to simulate letoff but with the shank down), now after slowly removing your finger from above the jack, try pushing the jack up (back to it's resting position) if you can feel it move back, then it sits too high above the repetition lever.

2-Jack's position too far forward. This would cause the key not to play only on a hard blow or staccato.

This is all that I can think of at the moment. But the fact that you mentioned that you replaced the wippen's spring cord would lead me to think that in this case the repetition spring could be regulated too weak. Try adjusting it to make it stronger until you feel the hammer shank going up from the feeling in the key on release after checking. Then just make it a tad weaker so you don't feel it.

Good luck and keep up learning.

Marcel