[pianotech] More on Yamaha Sticking C6 Key Problem

rsfinley at charter.net rsfinley at charter.net
Sun Feb 14 15:52:54 MST 2010

Here are some more observations on the intermittent problem with the C6 on my Yamaha G1 Piano.

When I play the key the first time, the note usually sounds, but if I play repeatedly and quickly after that, it stops sounding. I have to wait a few seconds after that for the key to recover, before it will play again. It seems there is a delay of a few seconds when part of the action is slowly getting back into the position when the key can be played. I am puzzled why there is this delay.

When I take the action out and put it on a table, I cannot reproduce the sticking key effect for C6, even if I simulate the presence of the string using a hard book held some distance above the hammer (of course the hammer will not rebound in the same way as for a string). I can cause the hammer to move in fast repetition without any blocking effect. The sticking key effect only occurs when the action is back in the piano. Although I doubt it,  I am wondering if this is a combined effect of the damper and the action causing this sluggish operation, although the damper for C6 seems to be working fine.

When I look at action for C6 (difficult to see everything due to the proximity of the actions of the other keys, everything appears to be intact.  I haven't removed the whippen assembly for C6 yet to examine it in detail. Maybe I should do that.

Could anyone throw more light on this? Thanks for your advice.

Robert