[pianotech] mending keybed front edge

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Feb 13 12:33:55 MST 2010

Great idea from Ron on using planks and clamps to maintain vertical
alignment.

You probably won't get a real good fit so I would recommend avoiding regular
wood glue and use an epoxy. Epoxies are more forgiving of gaps. Just be sure
to get one with plenty of open time.

I would drill on an angle about 1 inch from the crack so the bit comes out
half way into the crack, then use a syringe to inject the epoxy into the
middle of the crack. Choose a bit size to give you a hole that the syringe
will fit tightly into. You don't need to put a needle on the syringe, just
stick the nub into hole. This will get plenty of glue where you need it.
Just do a series of holes about every 4-6 inches down the crack. It will
make a mess so use plenty of newspaper on the floor.

Instead of using the long clamps as Ron suggested I would probably just use
10 or so long drywall screws. Pre drill a clearance hole in the front piece
and then use the drywall screws to pull it together and hold it after
injecting the glue.

I would definitely add the wooden dowels as Ron suggests. If you've got a
biscuit joiner you could also add some biscuits, but only if you are OCD
like most posters here. :-)

I'd probably do this on the tilter with the piano tipped back until it
contacts the first set of wheels on the tilter, putting the piano at about a
60 degree angle- it is pretty stable there. This gives you really good
access to the keybed area without having to stoop over or kneel down.

Dean

Dean W May                (812) 235-5272

PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY

Terre Haute IN 47802