[pianotech] PIANO BAR TUNING

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Feb 13 07:23:39 MST 2010

While that's always something to consider, likely not the case here as
the interior environments of these ships are super-duper stable. As
dean pointed out, it could be a vent, but then again, the AC is going
24/7, and even if a vent was blowing on it - its always blowing on it!
I tune the pianos on three cruise ships in the Port of Tampa and the
piano bar pianos are indeed the ones that go "out of tune" more than
the others - mostly unisons, but I attribute that to these pianos
being pounded on when the pianist "gets in the groove" - and the
scantily clad women start dancing on the piano lid........  But maybe
it is a humidity issue - things probably get pretty steamy in there
some nights. And I wonder how much water is in a margarita - pouring a
few of those over the soundboard and tuning pin field likely doesn't
help anything either......  :-(

I would also like Ted to quantify his question as Dean asked.

Every once in a while a piano will have a unison 20, 30, 40 cents off
- this on a piano that was just tuned two to four weeks prior. I can
only assume in such a case that some gal is high heels was dancing on
the strings or some drunk pianist whipped out his student tuning lever
and had a go at it.

Terry Farrell