[pianotech] Double Octave Stretch

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Thu Feb 11 11:04:38 MST 2010

The error in what has been posted up to now is the presumption that an
octave has a single beat rate. In fact there are multiple beats, which
complicates the issue.
I used Tunelab to examine a Mason Hamlin A. I set the tuning curve to 6:3 in
the bass and 4:2 in the treble (a common setting), and recorded the
frequencies of partials 1,2,3,4,6,8 for notes C3, C4, C5, and C6. Then I
used Excel to calculate beat rates for the octaves C3-C4, C4-C5, and C5-C6,
and the double octaves C3-C5 and C4-C6.

Every octave has beats at the 2:1, 4:2, 6:3 and 8:4 frequencies, and in the
deep bass it is also easy to hear the 10:5 and beyond. But these all sound
together, so the ear cannot easily parse them.

The C3-C4 octave includes the following beat rates:
2:1 -- 0.3
4:2 -- 0.4
6:3 -- 0.1
8:4 -- 1.5

The C3-C5 double octave:
4:1 -- 0.7
8:2 -- 1.2

The C4-C5 octave:
2:1 -- 0.3
4:2 -- 0.3
6:3 -- 0.4
8:4 -- 3.4

The C5-C6 octave:
2:1 -- 0.5
4:2 -- 0.2
6:3 -- 2.2
8:4 --15.6

The C4-C6 double octave:
4:1 -- 0.8
8:2 -- 3.2

Some of the individual partials will sound louder than others -- primarily a
voicing issue -- and this will affect which of the beat rates will
predominate. But they are all there, each contributing to the sound of the
octave or double octave.
For example, the 8:4 partial pair in octave C5-C6 is beating at 15.6 beats a
second, but it will probably be relatively quiet and may not be noticed at
all. However, if the hammers are too hard or other factors accentuate the
upper partials, that beat may stand out and annoy the ear.
The ear must determine the sweet spot. But it's probably not wise to seek a
certain beat rate, because you may not be sure which partial set you are
listening to.

jason kanter -- seattle