[pianotech] Hammer strike line. Was-----whatever

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 08:56:51 MST 2010

This is really interesting.

Could you back up a couple of steps and help me understand what the
reasoning for increasing the angle from 45deg in rc&s boards is?

I'm thinking out loud here...

On a sample old compression board I have (non-radial rib pattern), there
is a 42 deg grain orientation relative to the belly rail.  This grain
orientation puts the cross grain consistently 12 deg off of
perpendicular to the ribs through the entire scale. Since cross grain
dead perpendicular to the ribs would be the weakest structural
orientation of the grain, I assume they were looking for some consistent
degree of stiffening from the grain orientation, but not much.
Read...entire assembly somewhat flexible...stiffness mainly defined by
compression..

On an rc&s board, the fact that the panel itself is not trying to be a
significant structural member demands that the ribs be oriented in a
fashion which allows them (the ribs) to create the assembly's structure.
This dictates the need for the cutoffs/fish and radial rib pattern.
Given the radial rib pattern, if you were to leave the grain orientation
at 45 deg, the panel's grain orientation would be well off perpendicular
to the tenor/low tenor/bass ribs, and pretty close to perpendicular in
the high treble. Read; @ 45 deg the panel would add too much stiffness
in  the tenor/low tenor/bass, and hardly any in the high treble.

Seems backwards of what you would like to happen, ie you'd want the
bottom end appropriately stiff (from the ribs) but not constrained by a
too stiff a panel, and in the high treble you'd want  whatever stiffness
you could muster, rib and panel (to a point).

So shifting of the grain angle up adjusts this, putting  tenor/low
tenor/bass ribs closer to perpendicular to the grain, and high treble
closer to parallel to long grain.

I think I answered my own question...does this make sense?   (...Let me
down easy boys...)

Jim Ialeggio
grandpianosolutions.com
978- 425-9026