[pianotech] boring, (was Hammer strike line)

Randy Chastain Randy_Chastain at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 9 10:22:21 MST 2010

Wow, Dale!

Strike line and sound production is really a very interesting subject
and one worth researching, documenting everyone's experience and
trying to define. No wonder why I was struggling, with the soundboard
involved and all. I can't do anything about soundboards because I
don't do them. I have noticed and thought about the string height in
that section. I'll have to go back and measure. I just did a hammer
job on a Steinway L 1929. Turned out good but not great in that area.
When I measure the string height there is a difference by section and
I believe ( memory) the killer octave height is greater.  I am so
grateful for t  his group. There is no place else we can share piano
stuff like this with you all. Thanks.

Randy Ellen Chastain
San Francisco Bay