[pianotech] boring, (was Hammer strike line)

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Mon Feb 8 21:47:22 MST 2010

In a message dated 2/8/2010 9:24:09 P.M. Central Standard Time,
erwinspiano at aol.com writes:

Hi Paul
  I used to add 1 degree of  rake but I was forever hanging the hammers and
then re hanging them closer to  the player. SO pointing the strike point in
the wrong direction  didn't help. After a while I came to my  senses. So,
my  thought is that unless I am duplicating the standard bore hammer of the
S&S (whatever that means) which in my opinion more often over  centered from
the git go than not,... why bother?If some one has a better  thought, I'm
all ears. Pun intended.

I guess I still have a sneaking suspicion that there is a tonal effect
from the over-centering resulting from the strike-line deviation. But I have no
 data, just lines of reasoning.

 Perhaps the idea Ed was getting at was  that whatever degree the string
slope is that there should be a  corresponding  amount of over centering and
rake so the string and  hammer are at right angles to each other ant the
keybed. However this means  calculating the slope on each piano or just checking
it and averaging the  bore. I think I just devised an A B Expereiment. I'll
work on  it

Actually it means calculating the bore and rake on each of the hammers as
they deviate from the straight line of the original hanging scale. The rest
might be a section by section calculation. Is it worth it? Is there an
effect  (tonal or otherwise) that is significant enough to warrant this?

 Dale

So Dale...

When you alter the strike line, do you also add in a compensating rake to
bring the hammer back to 90 degrees?

I never have, but it strikes me that there is quite possibly a tonal
difference attributable to the over-centered hammers that are part of the
deviation set.

I also remember Chris's class on the power stroke and the energy train.  Do
you remember (does anyone) his class on bridge design as a series of
catenary curves? I love the guy's brain.

Paul

In a message dated 2/8/2010 6:48:46 P.M. Central Standard Time,