[pianotech] boring, (was Hammer strike line)

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Feb 8 20:23:44 MST 2010

Hi Paul
  I used to add 1 degree of rake but I was forever hanging the hammers and then re hanging them closer to the player. SO pointing the strike point in the wrong direction didn't help. After a while I came to my  senses. So, my thought is that unless I am duplicating the standard bore hammer of the S&S (whatever that means) which in my opinion more often over centered from the git go than not,... why bother?If some one has a better thought, I'm all ears. Pun intended.
 Perhaps the idea Ed was getting at was that whatever degree the string slope is that there should be a corresponding  amount of over centering and rake so the string and hammer are at right angles to each other ant the keybed. However this means calculating the slope on each piano or just checking it and averaging the bore. I think I just devised an A B Expereiment. I'll work on it
 Dale

So Dale...

When you alter the strike line, do you also add in a compensating rake to bring the hammer back to 90 degrees?

I never have, but it strikes me that there is quite possibly a tonal difference attributable to the over-centered hammers that are part of the deviation set.

I also remember Chris's class on the power stroke and the energy train. Do you remember (does anyone) his class on bridge design as a series of catenary curves? I love the guy's brain.

Paul