[pianotech] point of-

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Feb 8 10:37:25 MST 2010

At 20:36 -0800 7/2/10, David Love wrote:

>My default setting is plain text but I suppose if someone posts in html my
>email program responds in kind.  Sorry about that.  Are all my posts coming
>through that way?  Nothing I'm receive is.

I don't know what preferences Outlook gives but some programmes will
send by default in plain text or html according to the options you
have set and then override the default for replies to formatted
messages.

I have Eudora set to send plain text and to ask me before sending a
formatted new message or reply whether I want it formatted or plain.
Occasionally, if for example I am including pictures in the message
or really need formatting so that the recipient sees the columns of a
table lined up with a monospaced font such as Courier, then I use
html.

Using formatting (html) by default, as so many people do, is a great
waste of space and often makes the message unreadable, or at least
unpleasant, to a lot of readers.  Plain text is the norm on most
mailing lists and a lot of them actually forbid formatted messages.
Every mail agent lets the user set his options to send plain text.
Unfortunately Microsoft, those masters of extreme bad taste and bad
style, send out their hideous mail programmes with the default set to
send html.

JD