[pianotech] Tapping Bridge Pins?

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Sun Feb 7 21:59:39 MST 2010

I am dealing regularly with a number of Canadian built pianos (Mason and Risch, Heintzman) of the 42 inch variety, built mostly in the 1960s.  These are pianos that seem to me to have been built to a low price point, with various compromises (like early damper lift instead of any lead weights in the keys to insure key return) and high levels of hammer flange friction (less than 1 swing, often.)
When I first tuned a couple of these, dealing with the treble was frightful.  False beats everywhere.  I resorted to tapping in the treble pins, and could see visible movement of the pins, maybe 1/2 mm.  For the most part the false beats cleared right up.  I should say that the bridge caps appeared sound, with no obvious cracking around the pins.
I read tonight on the CAUT list some strong cautions against tapping bridge pins.  Do these cautions apply to pianos like this, which were obviously built in a hurry?  I feel like I'm simply doing what should have been done before the piano left the factory.
Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter