[pianotech] Hammer strike line. Was-----Yamaha Hammer Suggestion

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Feb 8 07:51:41 MST 2010

To develop a bit more what I commented on previously, I've done both RC&S and retained original CC boards both with modified front duplexes and without.  Similarly I have done (or had done) RC&S boards with modified backscales and without, with modified and radial rib arrays and with original rib positions, with bass floats and without bass floats, with transition bridges and without transition bridges (and with various styles), and with treble fish and without them, and with varying degrees of changed grain angle so that I could see for myself what contributions each of those changes make.  I have come to some conclusions but I'm not really ready to share everything yet as the jury is still out on some things.  However, with respect to modified strike lines I can say that the RC&S board generally, no matter what the other changes might or might not be, seems not to require changing the strike line the same way it does with the CC pianos that I've encountered.  The fact that Dale has found a consistent reason to go so far as to teach a class on finding the "sweet spot" suggests to me that a compensation for inadequate tonal production is often necessary on that style piano (cc) and that it's most evident in the killer octave (not surprisingly since the problems of compression crowning seem to exhibit themselves most in that area).  I don't have an explanation as to why the biggest modifications of the strike line seems to be on Steinway B's and to a slightly lesser extent Steinway Ds except to say that it probably has something to do with the particular dimensions including rib layout and soundboard shape and width on those models.  Smaller models and pianos built by other manufacturers may require a change in the strike line in the upper sections, a little in or a little out, but I haven't found them to be nearly as idiosyncratic as those two models with a curved line.  I've not really collected any real data on the differences in modified strike line requirements between makes and models, maybe Dale has and can offer some input.  Suffice it to say that the modified strike line seems to be a requirement of cc boards and not pure RC&S boards, at least in my experience.

One other comment, the RC&S boards that I'm doing are all calculated in terms of stiffness in each section of the piano (Ron has touched on that method in other threads on the subject) so there's no by the seat of the pants reckoning in terms of the rib dimensions.  Pianos that are hybrid designs or where the stiffness of the board in different areas is done more by feel aren't part of my experience and are probably not good candidates for drawing conclusions from since the stiffness in each section can't be quantified in the same way.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com