[pianotech] Hammer strike line. Was-----Yamaha Hammer Suggestion

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sun Feb 7 21:09:15 MST 2010

Thanks, David, it answers my question admirably.

Paul

In a message dated 2/7/2010 10:06:18 P.M. Central Standard Time,
davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:

It  is interesting to note that when I compare my strike line compensations
with  Dale’s on boards that require it the change and shape are very
similar.   You are right that there is a subjective nature to what sounds better
to one  tech over another but in this case mostly what’s happening is trying
to  achieve a uniform “tone line” if you will.   There, perhaps, it’s
easier to agree.  The killer octave problems that I hear on most  Steinways don’
t usually start down in the capo section but almost always right  around F5
or F#5 (several notes above the break) and progress through the  lower capo
section.  The upper capo section is often more forgiving,  though not
always.  (As an aside it’s interesting to note that Del has  often pointed out
that the ribbing in the very upper end of the piano doesn’t  really contribute
all the much to the requisite stiffness in that  section.  That the panel
itself with its narrow configuration does a  decent job of that on its own.
But I’ll let him clarify that if I’m not  stating it correctly.)  That a 2-3
mm move in the lower capo section  makes a difference (actually I think it’
s more like 4 mm on the B at the  maximum point) demonstrates how fragile
that area is in terms of tone  production and is not an insignificant number
in terms of a deviation from the  theoretical strike line.  With the now many
RC&S boards I’ve done  (and re Dale’s post our formulas may in fact be a
bit different) plus the  one’s I’ve heard that I haven’t done (mostly Del
Fandrich designed and built  boards) there just isn’t that same sensitivity to
hammer placement and  honestly I’m always testing strike line
characteristics on all pianos I deal  with.
Don’t  know if that answers your question.

David  Love
www.davidlovepianos.com