[pianotech] Hammer strike line. Was-----Yamaha Hammer Suggestion

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Feb 7 21:06:02 MST 2010

It is interesting to note that when I compare my strike line compensations with Dale’s on boards that require it the change and shape are very similar.  You are right that there is a subjective nature to what sounds better to one tech over another but in this case mostly what’s happening is trying to achieve a uniform “tone line” if you will.   There, perhaps, it’s easier to agree.  The killer octave problems that I hear on most Steinways don’t usually start down in the capo section but almost always right around F5 or F#5 (several notes above the break) and progress through the lower capo section.  The upper capo section is often more forgiving, though not always.  (As an aside it’s interesting to note that Del has often pointed out that the ribbing in the very upper end of the piano doesn’t really contribute all the much to the requisite stiffness in that section.  That the panel itself with its narrow configuration does a decent job of that on its own.  But I’ll let him clarify that if I’m not stating it correctly.)  That a 2-3 mm move in the lower capo section makes a difference (actually I think it’s more like 4 mm on the B at the maximum point) demonstrates how fragile that area is in terms of tone production and is not an insignificant number in terms of a deviation from the theoretical strike line.  With the now many RC&S boards I’ve done (and re Dale’s post our formulas may in fact be a bit different) plus the one’s I’ve heard that I haven’t done (mostly Del Fandrich designed and built boards) there just isn’t that same sensitivity to hammer placement and honestly I’m always testing strike line characteristics on all pianos I deal with.

Don’t know if that answers your question.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com