[pianotech] Hammer strike line. Was-----Yamaha Hammer Suggestion

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sun Feb 7 20:48:03 MST 2010

In a message dated 2/7/2010 9:38:41 P.M. Central Standard Time,
davidlovepianos at comcast.net writes:

While  the resetting of the strike line helps the sound on these original
boards it  doesn’t exactly make it sound great, just less bad.  That tells me
that  the moving of the strikeline is, at best, a compensation.  It’s not a
fix  or necessarily a requirement of that particular style of board but a
partial  remedy to a common condition that is often found in the killer
octave.
Terrific attempt to explain this! Even after guzzling beer. But the above
taken from your post also points out the subjective-ness of the whole
discussion. It doesn't in any way disqualify it, but, e.g., would two rebuilders
side-by-side move the same hammer to the same position to "compensate" (as
you  so well put it), or remediate the original designed hammer placement
(in SS's  case at 5.125")? And again, even given the wholly scientific nature
of your  explanation (), why do 2-3  mm make that significant a difference?
The killer octave tends to break over  from the agraffe section to the capo
section, and the strings are not the short  ones I'd associate with the
description you give, although it is very clear and  apt for them.