[pianotech] Hammer strike line. Was-----Yamaha Hammer Suggestion

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Feb 7 20:38:20 MST 2010

Maybe the better question is why does the CC board require a varied strikeline rather than why the RC&S board doesn’t, or doesn’t seem to.  If I had to formulate a hypothesis it would be along the lines of compensating for lack of stiffness and the accompanying  inability of a failed killer octave to handle too rapid an input of energy.  I say this for a couple of reasons.  Invariably the strike line moves toward the capo bar where the imparted energy to the string will be less because of diminished string extrusion at attack.  Also, striking the string nearer the capo bar seems to change the development of partials and seems to favor the upper partial development over the fundamental.   The net effect is that the board is set into motion with a somewhat diminished chaos phase and settles into the sustain phase more easily with somewhat enhanced upper partial development.  Moreover, since the board is set into motion in a kinder and gentler way the loss of energy from the attack phase appears to be slower.  How’s that for a non-scientific explanation?  Something else to keep in mind in all this.  While the resetting of the strike line helps the sound on these original boards it doesn’t exactly make it sound great, just less bad.  That tells me that the moving of the strikeline is, at best, a compensation.  It’s not a fix or necessarily a requirement of that particular style of board but a partial remedy to a common condition that is often found in the killer octave.  It also makes sense, then, that a soundboard that by design doesn’t have those inherent weaknesses would be more forgiving in terms of the strike line.

About all I can muster after too many beers on Stupid Bowl Sunday.  Well done Saints!

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com