[pianotech] Steven----Yamaha Hammer Suggestion

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 6 14:34:00 MST 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 10:16 AM, <erwinspiano at aol.com> wrote:

>   Steven
>   When you stop asking the questions then some might assume yer stupid.
>   Or not.
>  Dale
>

>    I just worry that my questions will be worded so poorly that I
> will sound more stupid than I am.  Although I am realizing how much I don't
> know but I am learning.  Chalk what I said up to a bad morning and a too
> quick response.  Thank you and I will take all responses from here at
> face value and use what I can.  Forgive me.
>
> Steven Hopp
> Midland, Tx
>
> > Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 11:44:52 -0600
> > From: rnossaman at cox.net
> > To: pianotech at ptg.org
> > Subject: Re: [pianotech] Yamaha Hammer Suggestion
> >
> > Jim Busby wrote:
> >
> > > Everyone’s friendly here, well , except maybe Ron… <G>
> > > (Just kidding. Ron’s the best.)
> >
> > Yea, yea, yea... I'm not at all hard on people who have every
> > right and excuse to not know anything about pianos. I likely
> > don't know anything about what they do for a living either.
> > Anyone selling their services as a qualified piano tech,
> > however, should have some idea what they're doing and be eager
> > to learn as much as they can to improve their knowledge on a
> > day to day basis. Someone needs to point this out once in a
> > while, get past the stone wall of Victorian propriety, and get
> > straight to the meat of the subject. We can all stand around
> > in clumps, congratulating ourselves on our social skills and
> > techniques of artfully saying nearly nothing of any use as
> > inoffensively and "properly" as is possible, or we can attempt
> > to exchange the best information we can get our hands on as
> > honestly and efficiently as possible, to our mutual benefit. I
> > prefer door #2. Keep the massage, let's have a look at the
> > schematic - in clumps or otherwise.
> >
> > Ron N
>
> ------------------------------
> Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.<http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469227/direct/01/>=

Hi Steven,

I live/work in the southwest corner of Wisconsin near the city of LaCrosse.
We used to have 7 active techs in the area and a tuner who set himself and
his sons up as a family of piano workmen.
We all knew each other, interacted, met occasionaly for lunch some belonged
to PTG, some didn't. The fellow with the sons kept to himself as did his
sons. This was considered odd since he knew at least 3 of the local techs
when he had lived here previously and had done player stack rebuilding for
them.
The only conclusion that could be drawn was one of 2, he either felt he knew
everything or he was afraid to show how little he knew.
I finally approached on of his sons after he had passed away, a year or so
ago and it proved to be the latter, I worked with him but he didn't ask
questions, I had to suggest different more efficient ways of doing things
than he was used to. He accepted the suggestions readily but didn't ask for
more. I attempted to interest him in the PTG but he came to one meeting and
hasn't been back, we talk occasionaly.

My point is, I had a mentor who told me the first time I asked him a
question that there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers, thereby giving
me the greatest power ever, no fear about asking questions!
 This list provides the same opportunity I have been lambasted more than
once on it, for good reason most of the time, inadvertantly a few times but
the importyant thing is I learned fom each one.

I have a personal credo, if I don't learn something from at least one piano
I work on each day, I'm not paying attention!

When you say (snip) I just worry that my questions will be worded so poorly
that I will sound more stupid than I am.  Although I am realizing how much I
don't know but I am learning. (snip)

Remember we have all been there, at least you had the courage to post, there
are many lurkers out there who have never posted, learning from what you
posted. As for the 30 some other posts added to your original. After about
the first 5 or 6 they forgot all about you and your original question, that
happens a lot on here, they were discussing the relative merits of differing
hammers among themselves, your question was only the catalyst.

 Good luck with that C7,

 Mike

 --
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404