[pianotech] WIll-- Learning stuff

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 6 11:09:41 MST 2010

Over the years, technicians have improved their willingness to help others
learn.  40 years ago there seemed to be this attitude or, maybe more of a
fear of helping.  Maybe it was a fear of losing business or a fear of more
competition, whatever.  But, when we help someone to do the best they can
do, we have better technicians and less flakes for the most part anyway.

I remember taking in old uprights for learning on.  Lots of them.  Junky
ones with potential.  I remember one in particular.  It had no hammers.
None.  The bass bridge was split, needed replacing.  Needed new bass wires
too.  Every hammer had been broken off and tossed away.  Some kids busted it
all up.  There was not even one, original hammer in place and no hammer line
to go by at all.  My dad figured this would be a great piano for me to learn
on.  Boy, was it ever!  I had to drill out the shanks and replace all 88 of
them.  I figured, I might as well replace the hammer flanges at the same
time, they were probably all messed up too, so I did.

I had no idea how to figure out a hammer line at that point in my career.
My dad helped me with that one by using masking tape to carefully line it
across the length of the bass, tenor and treble area where we could see
clean hammer marks from where the hammers had been striking the strings.  As
we neared the higher treble, he cut the tape smaller and smaller in width.
Seemed like it took forever. Eventually, we had the new flanges on, shanks
trimmed and installed, hammers lined up, more shank trimming for height
adjustment for the hammers, hammer traveling but, by golly, if that piano
didn't sound like a million bucks when we were done with it.

It was also the one and ONLY piano that I completely refinished by myself.
NO THANK YOU.  Never again!  Too much fricken work!  Stinky too.  Anyway, I
tuned and serviced that piano for many years after that, until the lady sold
it, I think.  Haven't seen it since.  Wonder where it is now?  I still
service a couple of those old uprights that I re-did back in my younger
years.  They still sound pretty darned good for 100 year old pianos.

Jer