[pianotech] Yamaha Hammer Suggestion

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Fri Feb 5 10:13:22 MST 2010

Steven,

No armor needed. Good question, but if you wanted a simple answer "buy this, or that hammer" that's difficult , hence the number and variety of posts. We're all learning, hopefully. I've taken a dozen or more classes on hammers in the last few years and am still learning from Dale, Ray, Rick, Andre, and other leaders in the field. Since your post was right after my comments I hope you didn't hear anything critical in my language, because there was certainly none intended.

Back to hammers...

In a recent voicing class Dale showed us how one set of hammers flunked his "needle test" (thanks for that one Dale!) and another of the same make/brand was just fine. He's even sent hammers back to the company as "rejected". Dale's class on voicing is excellent and if you get a chance it's a great one to take more than once.

I bought a set of the cheapest hammers a company was selling and wasted $185.00 plus all my time. (Sounded BAD ... right out of the box) I've hung Yamaha hammers on Yamaha pianos that sounded good, and others that sounded bad in spite of any voicing technique I tried. Lot's to consider here, and all hammers (even the same make) are NOT created equal.

David's advice (below) and Ron's (and others) are also valuable. Sometimes it takes a question like yours to help us codify things, root out some bad ideas and crystallize our own opinions. Please don't be offended by "e-language" because you can't really see us smiling behind the keyboard. Everyone's friendly here, well , except maybe Ron... <G> (Just kidding. Ron's the best.)

Regards,
Jim Busby