[pianotech] Yamaha Hammer Suggestion

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Feb 5 08:34:32 MST 2010

Dave I.- David L..- Ron N -Dave P.- Jim B.-J.D.
  It's impressive how much hammer & voicing savy just got tossed out here in these few brief posts. The truth is that we have more hammer choices than we ever have in my career and yours.
   We all have a collective amount of voicing wisdom that is critically helpful. The final hurdle is hammer choice for the right piano. Many reading this are saying " yeah But how do you know?"
   Listen to those folks that have prepped & installed  alot of different brands of hammers and then think for yourself.

    I have hung many sets of hammers that have sounded better than "it's in the ball park". Wurzens felt in C-7s. is...a good choice, as is the Weickert felt either Ronsen or Renner. I have hung many sets of Ronsen & Isaac hammers and done nothing to very little.

   IMO Along with voicing skills a  good  knowledge to acquire is a study of hammers, felts and construction.  Hammer sampling is a great teacher. Pianos don't' talk but probing the hammers currently on the piano will tell you a great deal about the hammers it will respond well to and that may not be just one style.
 David L.s statement about  intelligent hammer choice, voicing the hammer an as well as the piano and client is in itself another an art form . The finished art is piano tone and music. How cool is that? It's exciting and fun even though we approach it at times with anxiety.
 I am installing a set of Ronsen Weickert felt hammers this week in a C-7 which resides in a fairly large church. I'll keep you posted. The samplings were a good match.
  Glad it's Friday
  Dale