[pianotech] Wurlitzer Spinet key rail removal

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 4 19:35:14 MST 2010

Any chance problem piano looks something like the gleaming beauty
pictured below????

Who has been badmouthing these old Wurlys? Hey they and the old
Baldwin Acrosonics - both when they had the separate capstan rail
(what do you call that extra rail?) - were among the best of the
little crap spinets! I've certainly seen/serviced worse.

I love how this thing opens up - if you take off all the hinged
panels, there's nothing left but the back/soundboard/plate/bottom
board/keybed assembly - everything is exposed. Pretty cool actually.

The Wurly pictured above - the owner - an elderly lady - grew up with
the piano, and it was in reasonably functional shape. I refurbished
the insides (full regulation, hammer filing, etc.) and had it
refinished and polished the brass (check out them pedals!) - put new
grill cloth in the kneeboard, etc., etc.  for a POS, its a great
little piano! I enjoy my service call every time she calls me to tune
this little beauty!

Terry Farrell