[pianotech] Hardening Hammers in Pearl River Continental Console???????

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 14:45:58 MST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 9:05 AM, David Love <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>wrote:

>  I think I’d try opening the piano first.  Take the bottom panel off and
> put the lid on that small prop and see if that doesn’t help.  Of course that
> won’t much help the DC effect.  You can also try putting clips on the shanks
> to make the hammer assembly heavier.  Put two or three small clips on the
> shanks with the flat side back against the rest felt.  The extra weight will
> add some volume.  Putting hardener on those hammers will really make a mess
> of them, plus it’s permanent.
>

> David Love
>
> www.davidlovepianos.com

Hi David,

I was there today and he's right, although I hate to admit I'm wrong!
Even with the front off the piano has a very mellow tone not the usual
bright, brittle tone most of us associate with asian pianos.
I don't know if this one's hammers  missed there lacquer dunking or what but
I'm going to have to harden them!

Suggestions welcome!

Mike

email mike at ifixpianos.com