[pianotech] Rim Separation

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 07:34:03 MST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 7:39 AM, Barbara Richmond <piano57 at comcast.net>wrote:

>  Greetings list,
>
> I brought this up a couple years ago--cracks (separation) between the inner
> and outer rims in a Kawai grand.  Different piano, out of warranty and I've
> got customers interested in purchasing it.  I had a pleasant talk with Mark
> Wisner at Kawai.  If the piano was in warranty, the repair would be the ol'
> flip the piano over, fill 'em up with epoxy, sand and touch up the finish on
> the bottom of the rim.  I could find a mover to help me do the job, but I
> was wondering if anybody out there has ever heard of a problem caused by
> these separations.  Noise?  Obviously, I don't know how long the cracks have
> been there; the piano, a KG-2, is about 15 years old.  I am inclined to say,
> "let's just leave it and if there's ever a problem we'll fix it"--unless
> someone gives me a good reason not to...  :-)
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Barbara Richmond, RPT
> near Peoria, Illinois

Hi Barbara,

I've been the tech for a Kawai/Samick dealer for about 25+ years(I lose
track), I also see numerous Yamaha's from the other dealer and have never
had a problem with a rim seperation.
I'm certain now that I've said that someone else will come along who has but
I frankly don't see how.
The plate and soundboard are attached to the inner rim and the outer rim is
basically the "beauty" rim that the lid, prop stick etc are attached to.
Seperations between the 2 are not uncommon and I see them in virtually all
of the asian grands with no ill effects.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404