[pianotech] FW: FW: Why schedules sometimes go pfffft. - update

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Tue Feb 2 12:08:47 MST 2010

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue

Centralia, Washington 98531 USA

del at fandrichpiano.com

ddfandrich at gmail.com
Phone  360.736.7563

From: Delwin D Fandrich [mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:41 AM
To: 'pianotech at ptg.org'
Subject: RE: [pianotech] FW: Why schedules sometimes go pfffft. - update

I had driven some 300 miles to replace all of the tri-chord agrafes on a
Steinway B that had no end of string buzzes. I had driven down to tune the
piano and diagnose whatever might be causing the problem several months
earlier. This was during the 1970s and badly machined agrafes were only part
of this piano's problems. But on my first trip down I had not gone prepared
to restring the tenor section of the piano. Now it was time to fix
everything.

I arrived the day before the husband's funeral! Family members were sitting
around in dark clothing and somber expressions. The wife was clearly
confused and distraught. And I was thinking, "Why didn't somebody let me
know-I'd never have imposed myself on the family under these conditions." I
apologized for my intrusion, extended my condolences and prepared to cancel
my hotel reservation and head back north. Turned out they all wanted me to
proceed. Even after explaining how disruptive my work was going to be they
would accommodate.

Seems it was the husband who had bought the piano as a surprise for his
wife. She'd been talking about always wanting to learn to play the piano and
he figured it was about time. Though he had been virtually tone deaf with no
appreciation of music at all he had been more upset than she over the sound
of the piano and its action problems and during one of their last
conversations together he made her promise that she would get the piano
fixed and keep on playing. So it turned out that family really wanted the
piano finished before the funeral ended and he was ultimately buried.

So, with the family as accommodating as possible, I made it with a couple of
hours to spare and everybody was as grateful as they could be under the
circumstances. Sometimes the schedule goes on..

ddf

del at fandrichpiano.com

ddfandrich at gmail.com
Phone  360.736.7563