[pianotech] FW: Why schedules sometimes go pfffft. - update

Conrad Hoffsommer choffsommer at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 21:03:27 MST 2010

The customer called me today to let me know her status.  Right wrist, shoulder and clavicle broken. I mentioned how hard it is to tune with a woman screaming ten feet away. She laughed and said it was much worse in the ER when they were doing x-rays, etc.

I mentioned that now might be the time to work on Ravel's Concerto for the Left hand. That way, the tuning wouldn't be wasted. She laughed again and I thought that may have gained a new, good customer. ;-}

Conrad Hoffsommer

From: choffsommer at hotmail.com
To: pianotech at ptg.org

 The tuning was about 3/4 done and going well when she came into the room, holding her arm, asking me to phone her husband.  She had gone out to bring in the mail and had fallen on the ice.

I called him and then took a closer look at her wrist.  It was already twice the size of the other one.  I called 911. Husband, first responder and ambulance were all soon there. Besides the wrist which was mostly likely well broken, her shoulder was either dislocated or broken.

I've tuned against Muzak, TV, vacuums, etc. but, trust me, you can't tune a piano with a woman screaming in pain 10 feet away.

45 minutes later, after all had left, I finished the tuning, left the bill on the piano, locked the door, went home and had a beer...

Conrad Hoffsommer