[pianotech] Steinway Soundboard Question

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Feb 1 15:00:19 MST 2010

If it was originally constructed like that, an uneven joint is not a
functional problem at all (maybe a cosmetic problem to those who care
to look). If it is the result of glue joints failing, then it may well
be a problem. You should be able to tell the difference between the
two: If a couple of misaligned panel boards was part of the original
construction, the finish on the soundboard should show no signs of
cracking or other disruption in the area of the imperfect joints - if
the finish is cracked/broken in the area of the joints, then perhaps
the glue joint has failed in that area.

Maybe someone else more familiar with Steinway's panel construction
techniques can comment. I don't know how they prep their panels for
finish application - whether the joints are sanded or planed flat.

I don't think there is anything to do about it anyway - I mean, you're
not going to return a free "D" - correct?

Hope this helps.

Terry Farrell