[pianotech] Steinway Soundboard Question

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Mon Feb 1 15:10:57 MST 2010

Steven:

I'm sure what you have there are called "compression ridges".  According to the Steinway Technical Reference Manuel:

"Compression ridges are in no way considered by Steinway to be a concern as to the piano's
performance or a defect in the craftsmanship of the instrument. In fact, the presence of such ridging
is a result of a well-seasoned and properly designed and installed board as it adapts to certain
environments and climate conditions. By design the Steinway soundboard is under compression
and tightly fit to the rim of the piano. This system of compression is a key component in producing
the richness and beauty of the Steinway tone. As a result, compression ridging can occur as the
piano becomes acclimated to or changes with its environment and the soundboard absorbs moisture.
This ridging does not mean that the board is cracked. The opposite is true. The board is under
tension and functioning as it should. Also, if there is no separation between the board and the ribs
under the board this is an indication that both board and ribs are functioning as a homogeneous unit
producing the unique tone of the Steinway piano. This ridging is not something new to Steinway.
It has been documented and addressed in Steinway documentation since the late 1800s."

Your opinion (and mine) might vary.  We have a couple of newer Steinways with these ridges.  According to what they have said above, I guess I should be disappointed that our other 38 Steinways don't have them.  There's nothing you can do about them.  When the board dries out and cracks open where the integrity of the wood has been compromised with the ridges. the 5 year warranty will have expired.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu<mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>