[pianotech] Transporting a grand action

John Alsina jalsina at roadrunner.com
Mon Feb 1 12:44:53 MST 2010

Paul,

Are you saying that the reason it's not played is because of the room the piano is in, not lack of interest in the narrow keyboard?

I'm interested because it's unclear to me whether these narrow keyboard have a future.  On one hand (no pun intended), I find they make a great difference - not hard to adapt to, and they make most music easier to play. On the other, I can see why many aspiring professionals might that time spent on a non-standard keyboard is a wate, since they will almost always perform on a standard instrument.  Yet again, many conservatory students with smaller hands suffer from hand and wrist problems that might be avoided by practicing on a "right-sized" keyboard.

What say you?

John