[pianotech] Cracked Ivory heads...was "a first for me"

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 31 10:24:06 MDT 2010

Ken asked: "I have been tuning and working on pianos since 1971 and this is the first time I have been asked this question.

The customer has these cracks in the ivory of the keys of this 1948 Steinway and ask if there is a way to "fix" the cracks without replacing the keytops?

Anyone of you have any experience? I know there are kits to repair chips in ivory but make cracks disappear?

Thanks in advance,"

Ken,
Yes, it's called Acrylikey. You will need to make a special tool, however. I would call it a miniature of a soundboard shimming tool. I've also done it with a dremel conical bit, but it's a little dicier.<G>
I do have a question/statement: Why would you want to, since the picture shows that the owner is an obvious slob???<G> (either that or he/she has kids<G>) Those keys are filthy, which is one of the reasons why the keys cracked! The chemicals from the hands erodes the ivory and makes it brittle. (amazing how toxic the human body really is!<G>)The owner needs to start washing hands, every time, before playing the piano, IMNSHO!<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I