[pianotech] What kind of wood is this?

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Thu Aug 26 13:38:26 MDT 2010

Rotary sliced ash.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

620 South Tower Avenue

Centralia, Washington 98531 USA

del at fandrichpiano.com

ddfandrich at gmail.com
Phone  360.736.7563

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Sheila Holcomb
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:58 AM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: [pianotech] What kind of wood is this?

(photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23869082@N03/sets/72157624687893411/ )

Sporer, Carlson & Berry Upright, No. 1571

No year listed in the atlas, but the company made pianos from 1860-1915

My first guess from the color and rough grain texture would be oak, but I
have never seen this sort of dramatic curl pattern in oak.

Anyone else seen this look before?

Also, any guesses on age?

The other weird thing is that at first I thought it had been refinished, due
to the light color compared to the color under the lid, but then I notice
the the crazing in the finish is still there. Is there any way someone
lightened the finish without removing the crazing?

Oh, and this was a fire salvage piano and then stored, so it would have been
exposed to heat and then covered in a layer of soot for about 10 years. You
can see silhouettes of knickknacks and photo frames on the lid where the
heat discolored the finish.

[k]