[pianotech] Square grand?

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu Aug 26 03:18:02 MDT 2010

Lim

Tuning a square grand is challenging, to say the least. The strings do not line up with the tuning pins, like on a grand or upright. The first thing I would do is remove the rail that goes across the dampers. That makes it a little easier to follow the strings to the pins.

If you have never worked on a square grand, I would advice you not to try to regulate one without a very good understanding of regulating a grand action.

Sometimes, unless you've got a lot of time on your hands, and are prepared not to charge the customer for the amount of time it will take you to tune and regulate the piano, perhaps the best advice I can give you for working on a square grand is, DON"T.

Willem Blees