[pianotech] customers

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 16:27:26 MDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Marshall Gisondi
<pianotune05 at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
> I'm going to join the PTG soon.  A person to work with would be great, and
> I hope I can line someone up as soon as I join.  I am receiving positive
> feedback from different sources another piano tech, two music stores and
> others, so that's helpful.  I'm sure things will pick up soon.
> Marshall
>
> Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
> Marshall's Piano Service
> *pianotune05 at hotmail.com*
> 215-510-9400
> *www.phillytuner.com *
> Graduate of The School of Piano Technology for the Blind
> www.pianotuningschool.org Vancouver, WA

Hi Marshall,
I've been following your posts & have added my own advice to the chorus a
few times but I think it's time to be more personal.
I have been in your shoes, doing the childcare while my wife was at work,
due to my not having any appointments. It's a partnership(marriage & kids)so
I never felt like I wasn't pulling my weight. Use the time to learn more
about your craft & interact with your kids, they grow up very, very fast!!
DAMHIK!!

I have acquired most of my tools from Schaff, Pianotek, Mother Goose &
Spurlock on an as needed basis. In other words, I let the job I needed them
for buy them, whenever possible. My first hammer job wasn't all that
profitable, after I bought the boring jig, hanging jig, tapering jig, tail
arcing jig. All my hammer jobs since have been though!

I also bought many of my tools after seeing them in other toolkits at PTG
chapter meetings. Seeing, feeling, those tools in your hand, first, &
knowing that it is indeed the right tool for you, can save you not only
money but disappointment over having acquired the "wrong" tool, when there
was a better one available. I have several tool purchase mistakes sitting
unused in my shop, I'll bet most techs do. After I had made that mistake a
few times, I learned to ASK others which one they liked or had chosen for
themselves & why. I feel I am now a little more of a savvy tool buyer than I
was, I'm much more careful, I take a lot more time deciding on buying
because I know I'll be using that tool for the rest of my career or rueing
the day I bought it for the rest of my days. A "best" tool for someone else
may not be the best for you because of the size of your hand, because you're
left handed, because of many things, that's why I say it's good to feel it
in your hand, to find out if it's right for you

Some of my "best" tools are the home made ones, not all by me, I've acquired
some over the years from other techs who are no longer with us.
Anyway don't be discouraged you are among friends, like minded people who,
for the most part, have all been where you are.

Take care,

Mike
--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

    Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service