[pianotech] customers

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 07:06:40 MDT 2010

You have to remember too Marshall that how we feel, how we act and how our
mindset is, all comes across to the customer.  So, if on any given day, you
are ticked off and frustrated that you have called 5 or 10 people and gotten
zero, even a little bit of sorrow or change in the tone of our voice, the
client may very well detect.

No offense intended here Marshall but, I wonder if you should be making
these calls yourself if this even remotely might be the case?  A lot of the
time, I get the distinct feeling that you are angry or disgusted with the
customer, the economy, the fact that you can't seem to build up your
business as quickly as you would expect and that you are down on yourself.
To repeat, this will come across as something negative to the client.  None
of us likes negative feelings or negative people very much.  Business will
not be built up quickly if at all with negative feelings being pent up
inside.  Again, I'm not trying to offend you but, this is how you come
across to me in your writing quite often.  This being the case, it is also
likely then that the client "may" then be getting the same feelings and
could a part of the problem of why they say no.  We must be positive and
have a positive attitude at all times NOT allowing any negative attitudes to
come outside of our bodies for the client to sense.  Put yourself in that
same situation and how you might feel.

As has been mentioned time and time again here, to build up a business takes
time, lots of effort, developing a reputation and a boat load of patience.
Rotten economy or not.

I will use myself as an example by telling everyone here something I did
yesterday that I tried as an experiment as a good example of attitude.  I
learned to tuned in EBVT III.  I tuned the most important persons piano in
my college yesterday in EBVT III explaining that I did so after she played
it a couple of times.   While at first, she appeared to really like it, I
guess over all, she did not.   I did not say it was an experiment to see if
she would like it or not.  Well, she sent me an email last night telling me
that she absolutely HATED IT asking when I could come back and tune it in
ET.!  Her piano just "does not sing like it does when I tune it in ET."  I
responded immediately to her email stating that this tuning is not for
everyone and that I will put it back into ET for her.  So, instead of going
over to the college this morning, I am going directly over there to retune
the piano in Equal Temperament as I have always done in the past.  Do I like
having to go over there to re-do it?  HELL NO!!!  It's a free tuning and a
total waste of my time.  However, did I learn something? You bet I did.
Will I be in a rotten mood with her?  No way.  I will be kind, generous,
apologize for the fact that she did not like it explaining at the same time
that I wanted to try something different and with her good ear, I thought
she would be a great candidate for trying this on.  I will put it back, she
will be happy and things will remain the same with us, as usual.

Jer