[pianotech] CA'ing pinblocks in the summer

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue Aug 24 13:19:16 MDT 2010

Hi Ryan,

Sure, that's why I posted the little follow-up.  I've had long-term results
with CA, however, I'm not willing to guarantee a pinblock treated with CA.
 If it fails in a year, so be it.  If it's still going strong in 20 years,
great.  My point is that without a greater degree of predictability and
certainty of outcome, I'm not comfortable calling it anything other than a
band-aid (OK, maybe a butterfly, or a few stitches).  I don't like the feel
of CA'd pinblocks, and I wouldn't aim for that as a final result with any
repinning job or pinblock replacement either.  You can pull tuning pins and
swab holes with epoxy or CA also.  Or use pinblock plugs, or oversize pins,
or.........    But I feel that if I want a guaranteed result, I replace the
pinblock.  It will tune predictably and be stable (as much as the resident
degree of climate control will allow).  CA just doesn't offer a result that
is consistent, predicable or reliably long-term and I suppose that's why I
term it "band-aid."

William R. Monroe